The House of Commons has approved legislation to put an end to a strike that has shut down one of Canada’s busiest ports. The bill is aimed at quickly reopening the Port of Montreal, where the flow of millions of tonnes of goods came to halt after 1,150 dockworkers began a strike Monday morning.
It must still be passed by the Senate, which is scheduled to deal with the bill Friday.
During late-night debate on the bill Wednesday, Labour Minister Filomena Tassi said if the strike is allowed to drag on it would cost the economy $40 million to $100 million per week, directly threatening 19,000 jobs and indirectly affecting hundreds of thousands of other jobs across the country.
This is an excerpt from the 29 April 2021 edition of CBC News.
Source: Canadian Society of Customs Brokers (CSCB); CBC News
The CSCB (Canadian Society of Customs Brokers) actively seeks and achieves improvements in government policies and procedures on behalf of our members and their clients, and consistently delivers relevant, high quality products and services, including education and professional development. The CSCB creates member value and benefits through education, advocacy, information and innovation.
- Provides advice and guidance to Canadian and international bodies on new policy directions and represents the interests of customs brokers to government departments and agencies, primarily the Canada Border Services Agency, involved in regulating and facilitating international trade.
- Works with government and other private sector stakeholders to develop new, innovative solutions to the future needs of the international trade community, as these needs are identified by our members and their clients.
- Ensures that our members have access to timely, accurate and up-to-date information on technical, operational and business management issues.
- Supports the education and professional development needs of our members through conferences, seminars, educational courses and the CCS (Certified Customs Specialist) and CTCS (Certified Trade Compliance Specialist) designations.
- Promotes the value of customs brokers to all members of the supply chain.
Back to Farrow News